Friday, October 1, 2010

Pitiful Child

"Credit or debit?” “Huh?” My eyes came into focus on a twenty-something year old: crew cut, slight features, tenor voice. “Debit or credit...” It was obvious that my expression caused him some concern. “Are you alright man?” I nodded, reaching into my pocket, blindly searching for something, anything. I grabbed a hold of leather, sighing with relief as I pulled it from my pocket. His eyes lit up with amusement. I looked at the contents of my hand..A collar. As I shoved the collar back in my pocket I could see him shaking his head, a smile on his lips. I searched my other pocket, glimpsing at what I had in my grasp. “Yes, that's a wallet.” I looked up the attendant, who had taken the moment to recheck my merchandise. “Cheeky bastard.” I thought, opening up the wallet to find a credit card, tossing it on the counter. Once my attention was taken away from the attendant I finally managed to grasp the situation, I had no idea where the fuck I was. What was I even buying? I looked: a pack of gum, a cup of coffee, and a protein bar.

I didn't have a headache, I checked my breath, it smelled like two days without toothpaste, but apart from that nothing in particular. “There you go, I bagged it for you.” I grabbed the bag, almost leaving before reaching back and taking my wallet. As I exited, I quickly took the corner, leaning against the wall. I looked toward the nearby street, nope, no idea where I was. I began searching my wallet as the attendant turned the corner, looking at me with a cup of coffee in his hand. “Yes?” He held out the coffee “You forgot this.” I grabbed the coffee, forcing a slight smile to thank him. As he began to turn I almost began to ask him where I was, but I held my tongue. He might know me, I'd rather not let anyone know that I seem to have lost a few of my marbles, at least not until I know for a fact that I'm fucked. I took a sip from the coffee: black, no cream whatsoever, and I liked it. Useless tidbit of information for me, but it woke me up enough to get me to check my wallet. I rummaged through the various cards, business cards, debit cards, coupons for dog food....finally I came across a little blue note, crumpled and shoved behind the last card in my wallet. I flattened it on the wall and looked at it.

“'555-2319, call if lost.” I slumped back against the wall, my head laying against the concrete as I sighed. This is good, this is very good. Do I even have a cellphone? I patted my pockets. Nope. I grabbed my protein bar, opening it up and taking a chunk out of it: peanut butter, delicious. I took a few minutes to finish off the bar, tossing the wrapper at a nearby trashcan. “What do I need to do..” I mumbled out loud. I had to find a phone, obviously, but first I want to make sure that I didn't look like Allen Moore on a good day, so I went back inside the gas station. “Bathroom?” I asked. “Next to the beer.” I went to the restroom and looked in the mirror.




No comments:

Post a Comment